Colder weather is back and that means everyone's favourite season is here…
This delicious, balanced lentil and sweet potato soup contains everything you need to keep you feeling satisfied. Lentils are a great source of plant-based proteins, while the sweet potato gives your body a long lasting energy source to keep you going all day long. Not to mention that it’s packed with fibre from the lentils, sweet potatoes, and all the vegetables!
It’s a win-win!
I love making soups as a great one-pot meal prep option. They can be a super convenient meal, not to mention that you can make a larger batch to freeze for leftover portions; perfect for a busy mama.
Hearty Lentil and Sweet Potato Soup Recipe
Yield: 6 servings
3 tbsp olive oil
1 medium yellow onion, diced
2 large sweet potatoes, chopped
4 carrots, peeled and chopped
1 cup kale, chopped
¾ cup dried red lentils
1 tsp fresh minced ginger
1 tsp paprika
½ tsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp salt
½ tsp pepper
4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
Plain Greek yogurt or parsley (optional)
1. Add the olive oil to a large pot on medium heat. Add the onion, sweet potato, and carrot. Stir and allow the vegetables to cook for about 15 minutes until the vegetables are tender.
2. Add the kale, dried lentils, minced ginger, paprika, cinnamon, salt and pepper, and low-sodium vegetable broth. Stir to combine ingredients until they reach a boil on medium-high heat.
3. Once the mixture reaches a boil, reduce heat to low or medium-low and cover with a lid while the mixture simmers. Allow the mixture to simmer for 30-40 minutes until all vegetables are softened.
4. Optional: Use an immersion blender or a countertop blender to blend the soup until it reaches a smooth consistency.
5. For serving, garnish with a dollop of plain greek yogurt or some fresh parsley.