As an expectant or new mama, meal prep can be a helpful strategy to support your healthy eating. You’re managing many different priorities through this important stage of your life and sometimes your nutrition doesn’t take top priority. At these times, having balanced meals or snacks on hand can save time and energy.
Prepping recipes for the freezer is a great strategy to be sure there’s always an option around. I recommend keeping some convenient and balanced meals or snacks to be able to reheat easily.
One delicious and balanced option to keep on hand is egg omelet bites. Eggs are a great source of protein,vitamins and minerals, including choline. You can also pack them with lots of vegetables for added fibre and nutrients. Within a few minutes, they’re ready to eat. They especially make a great one-handed snack for breastfeeding mamas.
Meal-Prep Egg Omelet Bites
Yield: 4 servings
1 tbsp olive oil
2 cups chopped vegetables to your preference
8 large eggs
250g cottage cheese
½ cup crumbled pasteurized feta cheese
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 350F.
2. Heat a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add olive oil to heat.
3. Add the chopped vegetables into the skillet and saute until softened, for about 5-6 minutes.
4. In a blender, add the eggs, cottage cheese, and salt and pepper to taste. Pulse until smooth.
5. Prepare a muffin tin by greasing lightly with olive oil. Divide the cooked vegetables between 12 muffin cups. Pour the egg mixture over top to cover the vegetables, tapping the muffin tin gently to help the mixture reach the bottom.
6. Top each egg bite with some crumbled feta cheese.
7. Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes until the egg bites are cooked through and golden on the top.
These egg bites can be enjoyed on their own as a balanced snack or along with some whole-grain toast for a more satisfying meal.